Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hi all, IIIT alumni

Jayachandra's Blog
Last wednesday, Padmaja m'am wanted a few alumni members to be present at the instiute and talk and share with the media any experiences they might be having. I've contacted a few but the notice being a short one, no one turned up. Finally I was the only alumnus around in the campus that day. So the SS channel guys jacked in a microphone at my collar and asked me to speak something or the other about the institute life and also share experiences about the industry life. That was an impromptu for me, for I was expecting to answer the specific questions they might be having and also hoped I would be given time to frame the answers. Nevertheless, I spoke (need not be verbatim) - "To express in one word, this institute is an amazing institute. It has in it serious guys who don't let you sleep without delivering their projects, and at the same time have in them that 'fatherly/brotherly touch' with which they boost your confidence and let you drive your way to the accomplishment. As long as I was in the institute I never knew I was acquiring umpteen skills that any corporate firm would even typically expect to be present in a fresher. Facilities wise the institute stands at an elite stature. Faculty is the best you could ever get. Students even get ample industry exposure. With all the infrastructure in place and the cream of the students who get admission here, this institute remains to be a vibrant one."
Then the co-ordinator of the event, expressed his wish to hear about my pay package. For that I spoke (again not a verbatim) - "Pay package is a little tricky thing. As students we never knew where our skill sets are ranked in the industry and have our expectations very low during the placements season. I was no different in getting absorbed for a modest 3Lakhs/annum with my employer. However after 13 months of IT industry experience and having seen the contributions IIIT folks are doing in whichever domain they are placed the average pay package for IIITians as it stands today is really an undermined package. With all due respect to my employer, I'd say that IIITians can be placed at a rather better pay scale than what they put me in. Considering the changes that happened over the past two years, be it b'coz of performances of alumni or b'coz of better software firms lining up for campus placements I hope the incumbent 3lakh/annum average package is destined to go up. However, quite a good number of students and faculty members are thinking in a different angle. A job isn't enticing any more to IIIT students, many are aspiring to make it big in their respective streams that they choose to specialize in and are opting to do MS, MS by research and other such courses. This I think is definitely a welcome phenomena in the history of IIIT."
Thats all I spoke. Excuse me guys, I didn't have time to deliver a more perfect speech about IIIT and also that being an impromptu session I stammered a bit while delivering the note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home