Monday, July 25, 2005

Ethical confrontation...

Jayachandra's Blog
I've the burning desire to pursue a full time MBA from any IIM. The rigorous curriculum it has, the sheer value of its brand in the market and all that are extremely enticing. But I'm here to blog about something totally different. The lifestyle that I'd have to encounter there. From whatever contacts I have of my batchmates or seniors at IIIT-H and from the info they shared directly or in an insinuating fashion I mapped lifestyle at IIMs to one with extended levels of freedom amongst its students, lavish parties that too very frequent all throughout the year. Till here it's fine. But parties where boozing is the commonest thing! This sounds uncomfortable for the reason that I've promised someone dear that I'd not touch it and now if the colleagues around force me or butt me to take it what can I answer my conscience? I believe I have the art of diverting the attention when the issue targetted against me doesn't quite make me comfortable. But I doubt if that can help me beguile some of the best (cunniest?) of the minds of the nation. Even if it does one or two times, it can't come for rescue everytime there is a party. I heard that every weekend or once in 2 weekends there would be parties during some parts of the year. Staying away from parties is a foolish idea, especially social interaction being the first a manager is expected to acquire. Not just it's something I should acquire merely by my nature itself I can't confine myself to my room when everybody else share a lighter moment. I knew I'd have to confront this moral issue long back even before I promised her. I even said honestly take my word that willfully or unless there is no utmost compulsion I would not even touch it. But she didn't feel convinced. And having understood that if I don't promise then I'd imprint a dark scar on my own character in her view I reluctantly gave the word. Though it was reluctant it was an honest promise and my conscience simply doesn't entertain any breach of it whatsoever. Well! as I write about it, I begin to feel a sense of confidence that things can be worked out just the way I want them to be. Afterall, every individual out there has his own professional attitude and so would I assume mine when someone tries to push hard on that aspect beyond my tolerance levels.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jayachandra said...

"some things better remain hazy" is all I can reply for now ;-)

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home