Friday, July 15, 2005

A great Scholar!

Long back I came across the Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda from the homepage of a dear friend of mine. I then book marked it as one of my favourite. Now again the second time I've come to see this old friends homepage I remembered that I bookmarked a page when I browsed his site earlier and opened the "Complete Works of Swami Vivekanada". I should thank ____ (should I fill it with the word 'God' or with 'environment around me' or with 'my internal metabolism'...I only don't know << immediate effect of reading the works of Vivekananda) whatever is appropriate, for giving me the concentration with which I have gone through appreciating the man and some of his works I've quickly read. I'm not here to blog about greatness of Hinduism or anything like that, but I wanted to rever the personality that Vivekananda is. One word that I could rightly think of is SCHOLAR. That would yet be an incomplete description of the great personality that he is. I've gone through the Volume 1 of his works. Most of them are elocutions rendered at 'The Parliament of Religions', Chicago 1893 around September timeframe. My mind tried to read the works as if narrated by the owner himself addressing a gathering of other several vivid scholars. The confidence in his speech shows that he has mastered the science of the religion inside out and he himself is free of any doubt in what he is practicing - only a very serious study could get anyone to that level. The spontaniety that you see in his speech speaks of the 'beautiful mind' that he is. The vocabulary he displays shows the grip he has on English. What does it take to gain that grip on a foreign language at that time of the world where there are no superb technologies like 'internet' around. The more I envision each scene of the articles I read, I could not help appreciating the learnedness, spontaineity, focus on the topic, outstanding presentation skills of this man. The exercise had a multitude effect on me across several orthogonal directions, but just that the limitations of my mind's articulative powers and of course the time and work place constraints (these are certainly insignificant factors, though) restrict me in unfurling all the experiences I had in my mind while going through those articles. I'd say these works of Swami Vivekananda are a must read for anyone and everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home